Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Growing Up: Movie Theaters

Some of my happiest memories growing up was with movie theaters in my area. A lot of places that were my getaway to fun, excitement, scares, and such. Here a few of those said locations:

The Hilltop Drive In Theater



I saw many films here, including Cujo, Lady and the Tramp, and Star Trek The Motion Picture. It was a sad sad day when it decided to shut down. I lived so close to it too.



The Hilltop was the last drive-in theater to be built in the Richmond-San Pablo-El Cerrito area and the last one to close, finally ceasing operation around 1984. Like most drive-ins in the country, especially single screen ones in urban areas, the land it occupied was just way too valuable to be used for only a few hours a day. 

The Rancho Drive In Theater


This where most of the more R rated stuff would play. I saw The Incredible Melting Man and Lazerblast here. It closed in 1978 due to under performance and a rise in gang activity.

Showcase Cinemas/San Pablo Theater


I saw a LOT of movies here. I miss this place. I actually liked it more that the Hilltop cinemas at Hilltop Mall. especially since it was all the time double features for the price of one film. 

I remember seeing that Rocky III/Clash of the Titans one and Raiders/Dragonslayer one here. I also saw Poltergeist, Twilight Zone The Movie, Close Encounters, Secret of NIHM, Watershed Down, Lord of the Rings (animated) and much more here. I miss this place a lot.

Hilltop Mall Cinemas


This one lasted the longest until Century 16 opened. I remember when this theater opened it was a major event. This is where I first saw....well, all these films listed here:




Plot was bought out by Cineplex Odeon and it stayed that way until the 90s. For a while it also becomes a second run $1 movie screen and was a hangout for me all through my college years.

CENTURY 9/10 CINEMAS  IN PINOLE


Alas, no photos exist online of this location. It was a theater with a mega video arcade. This theater was responsible for the downfall of Hilltop Mall cinemas. At the time it was the state of the art. However, as it got closer to the 2000's it became a run down place that also was not exactly safe anymore. Then again, this was around the time I also moved away from this part of the bay and started spending more time in San Francisco and Berkeley.

So...those are just some of the theaters I grew up with. Anyone else remember any of these?




No comments:

Post a Comment